I’m not going to lie to you: I love my Dolman-Sleeved Top. So much so that this weekend I earmarked a lovely fuchsia tencel knit from the stash for my second version.
There will be no modifications to this pattern so I figured if I ran the fabric trough the washer and dryer in the morning, I could have a new top by the afternoon. And then I spotted this:
How on earth did I get these two little holes in my fabric? At first I thought maybe it got caught somewhere and ripped slightly. And then I spotted these ones:
The horror! I may have hyperventilated slightly, thinking that I had moths and would have to undertake a major clean up of both fabric and yarn stash but a good look revealed that there are no moths in this place. Phew! So what then?
Upon close inspection of the fabric I noticed that these tiny holes run parallel to the selvage edges, about 5” away from each edge, at pretty consistent intervals. This leads me to believe that it’s a factory problem. Perhaps the machine on which the fabric was knitted had a loose pokey something or other that created the holes. The point is that I’m losing close to 10” of fabric so that my 60” wide fabric is now 50” wide. The point is also that this particular cut of fabric was not cheap. I paid good money at a store on Queen Street in Toronto. I wish I could remember the name but sadly I don’t. They carry all sorts of lovely bamboo and tencel fabrics in the nicest colours. For the longest time I refused to buy from them because of the astronomical prices but before I left Toronto I decided to treat myself and as it turns out I should have refrained because they sold me a defective product… at top dollar! I’m not too happy about this, but I shall move on. And despite the fact that I have a reduced amount of fabric to play with I shall make my second version of the Dolman-Sleeved Top from this fabric. Let’s just hope the holes don’t keep appearing over time. Stay tuned…