For close to two years an idea for a quilt using all my scraps of quilting cotton has been floating around in my head. I knew I wanted a rainbow theme against a pure white background which may not be the most practical thing but it sure makes all those bits of colour pop, doesn’t it? I also knew that if I didn’t make this quilt top before the end of May then it would never come to be because I was not about to transport all my scraps back across the country when we move again in a couple of months. It was now or never! So back in January I went a far as cutting up all my bits of scrap fabric and designated Fridays as quilt days chez Stitch Parade. Well, Quilt Fridays were a great success and a sure way to keep me focused. I’m happy to report that the quilt top and back are now finished.
I wanted this quilt be a true use of scraps and solid background fabric already on hand. Initially I thought I could make the back one large pixelated rainbow patchwork but I ran out of scraps and in order to match the size of the quilt front I ended up having to add the solid bits around the rainbow panel. I started with white and when I ran out of white I moved to gray. When I ran out of gray I had to move on to the chevron print at the bottom and then added a tiny black and gray hounds tooth print at the top. The result is this mismatched look and I can’t quite figure out if it’s more reflective of a psychedelic dream or a schizophrenic nightmare. Not sure how much I like it, but the fact that I made this entirely from stashed fabric makes me very pleased.
- Pattern: Entirely improvised, although I got my inspiration from this quilt by Ashley from Film in the Fridge.
- Fabric: Every single little scrap, as well as the solid pieces came from the stash. Not including the colourful scraps I used 7.5 metres of quilting cotton on this bad boy.
- Time in the stash: I began collecting the colourful scraps when I started sewing back in 2008. The background pieces were added to the stash between 24 and 6 months ago.
- Stashbusting Tally: Committed to using 15 pieces of stashed fabric this year; 11 used to date; 4 left to go. This one was a true stash buster!
I asked Mr. Stitch to help me with the photos down at the beach, but this quilt top ended up being so large that Mr. Stitch, in all his six feet tall glory, could not hold it up from the floor and his arm span was not wide enough to hold it fully open. The top measures 81″ x 88″ and the back is slightly larger so I ended up draping it over a fence. These are the largest quilt top and back I’ve ever made and I have the feeling it will be a royal pain to make a sandwich and quilt on my Janome so I may be persuaded to send it off to a long arm quilter once we’re back in Ontario. I’ll keep you posted. In the meantime, I know patchwork is not everyone’s cup of tea and I’m curious to know if you guys are into it or if you find it kitschy/uncool. Do tell!